Your personal safety is very important to us. The majority of our users are trustworthy and well-intentioned, but we want to make sure that when conducting business and communicating with other members on our site, you are doing so as prudently as possible. To that end, we have prepared a few guidelines and simple precautions you can take to stay safe. This list is merely suggestive and is, by no means, exhaustive.
1) As stated in the User Agreement
, to which you must agree before becoming a "user" or "member" of this website, only adults 18 or over are permitted to become members, post item listings, respond to listings, post comments on our site, or communicate with other members. To verify your age, we will ask for you to affirmatively indicate that you are over 18 years of age when registering on our site. This website is NOT FOR CHILDREN’S USE; it is for parents to retrieve lost items for their children. Parents, your children may not use this site themselves to post their lost items; you must do it for them and monitor the responses.
2) Choose a user name and screen name that do not reveal your true identity. Your password is the key to your account. Use unique numbers, letters and special characters, and do not disclose your password to anyone. If you do share your password or your personal information with others, remember that you are responsible for all actions taken in the name of your account and you assume the risk for having done so.
3) When posting an item, please do not include your email address, physical address, phone number, child's name, child’s age, child’s school, or any other personally identifying information, as it will be visible to anyone with an internet connection, and will make you a target of spam or other unwanted contact. If a member needs to contact you, they can do so through our private messaging system.
4) When writing your item description, leave out one or two identifying details that are not visible in the picture, such as the color of the tail, or a mark on the back. Then if someone claims to have found it, you can ask them what identifying marks are on it, to be sure that they legitimately have the item. If they can’t answer the question, they don’t have it.
5) When posting a photo of your item, please do not include your child in the picture. This is for your child’s safety. If your only picture shows your child with the item, you can crop them out using any free image editing program such as Google Picasa.
6) If someone responds to your listing, our private messaging system allows you to communicate with them, without revealing your email address or other contact information. Again, if you provide any personal information for yourself or anyone else, you do so at your own risk. Use common sense when communicating with a responder. If something feels fishy or suspicious, it probably is. If someone makes you uncomfortable, or asks you for personal information, don’t let your desperation over finding your child’s prized possession overshadow your instincts and common sense about whether the responder is legitimate.
7) If a responder tries to extract a reward from you before releasing your item, there’s a good chance they don’t really have it, and they are likely attempting to scam you. This is also a violation of the User Agreement and this member will be removed from our site. Please report it to us on the contact us
page (select "Report Abuse" as the subject).
8) LostMyLovey does not guarantee any transaction or exchange between members. LostMyLovey does not pay for or reimburse shipping costs for Finders to return items to Owners. C'mon folks, these are children's precious toys we are talking about, not a Cartier watch. Give the item back to its Owner out of the goodness of your heart.
9) If a responder wants to meet with you in person to return the item, please remember to:
- Do not bring your child with you, so that the responder cannot identify your child later
- Trust your instincts
- Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe
- Tell a friend or family member where you're going
- Take your cell phone along
- Have a friend accompany you
10) If a responder wants to mail your item back to you, only give your mailing address if you are comfortable with the situation. If something strikes you as fishy or suspicious, it probably is. So avoid the situation entirely!
11) If a member is spamming/harassing/threatening you through our private messaging system, this is a violation of our User Agreement. So first thing to do is report them on our Contact Page
(select "Report Abuse" for the subject). We will investigate the member and may ban them from our site altogether.
In the meantime, you can block the member by adding them to your blocked list and you will no longer receive messages from that member. Once you give the member your personal email address, LostMyLovey is not responsible for any spam, threatening or harassing emails sent to your personal email address.
For more information about personal safety online, check out these resources: